For years, many Black men (brothers) have been getting disrespected by unknown Black women (sisters) even in public places. There have been issues of intentional bad customer service; being approached in quiet areas to be verbally insulted without cause; stopping to bear false witness against brothers at work or on highways; strategically saying belittling things about men to the amusement of their grade-aged daughters in waiting places; and even sending their children in parks or malls to tell men not to kiss their babies because of germs – I guess these children were not allowed to be close to their dads.
I have always wondered why there was so much disrespect from sisters against their own brothers because I tend to get more support and encouragement from women of other races at work or in public, especially in the area of customer service. I have personally had Black women intentionally throw my receipt on the ground just to see what I would do with a laugh, or even been told to get out of the way when there is apparently no door to walk through – I guess to show power. The strange suggestion many brothers have received was to always wear their wedding rings because some of these sisters may think these brothers are single and it was their way of attracting males. I thought this idea was ridiculous until I watched a couple of Iyanla Vanzant’s shows on Oprah’s OWN TV .
According to Iyanla Vanzant on her shows, I have come to accept the following facts that may be responsible for the shameful and disrespectful behaviors of some sisters towards brothers:
1) Many sisters never had a dad, so they are frustrated about how to attract and keep a husband.
2) Some have given up on the husband search, so they just disrespect any brother they think they want, but cannot have.
3) Some are intentionally disrespectful to demand attention with the hope that the disrespected brother (probably without a dad) would come for them to calm them down.
4) Some may be envious and jealous of your apparent success, especially if their baby-daddy and sons are not doing well.
5) Feminism may also be a factor used to convince themselves that they are independent and do not need a man.